Professional Certificate in the
Therapeutic Use of Mindfulness
with Padraig O’Morain
The value of mindfulness in therapy has been espoused by such figures as Dr Tony Bates, former principal clinical psychologist at St James’s Hospital and Dr Jon Kabat Zinn, founder and director of the Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Clinic at the University of Massachusetts Medical Centre.
Internationally, mindfulness is increasingly recognised as a valuable intervention in counselling. In the field of medicine, more Irish doctors now recommend mindfulness to patients. Millions of people around the world practice mindfulness to enhance their experience of living. Put simply, mindfulness involves continually returning your awareness to your present-moment stream of experience in a non-judgmental way. This very simple approach, though at odds with our normal way of thinking, can be very helpful to people suffering loss, anxiety, stress, depression and other aspects of the human condition.
Who is it for?
This course is intended for therapists, mental health practitioners and for those professionals who would like to add mindfulness to the range of clinical interventions available to them. Additionally, it is ideal for those who would like to use mindfulness in their own lives. Participants will gain a rewarding life skill and a valuable tool for intervention.
- Definitions and purpose of mindfulness.
- Exploration of the use of mindfulness with clients.
- Exploration of the use of mindfulness in your own life.
- Consideration of the scope and limitations of mindfulness as a therapeutic tool.
- Opportunities to role-play in triads as therapist, client and observer using participants’ own case work.
- Opportunities to practice mindfulness during the course days and guidelines for practice at other times.
- An introduction to the basics of Buddhist psychology from which mindfulness emerged.
- Understanding how Buddhist psychology ‘fits’ with Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and other Western approaches.
This course will be of interest to professionals and volunteers who work with clients in …read more
Original post: IAHIP Classified Ads related to CPD